Thanks to the skills of the Centre’s woodworking volunteers, take a nice comfortable step up for a close-up inspection of the fabulous little vintage 6-wheel carriage now on display at Nunckley Hill Museum – with the arrival of a new access stairway and platform. You can now admire the carefully upholstered compartment interior of this fully furnished Victorian carriage. Famously it took 17 years in a major rebuild by members of the GCR Rolling Stock Trust, based at Ruddington. It is now a memorial carriage dedicated to The Royal Scots Regiment and to the employees of the Great Central Railway who perished in the First World War.
Thanks to agreement with the Heritage Museum, this last of very few remaining original MS&LR 50-seat carriages will be on view for some time, down there at the end of the Mountsorrel branch. This type was one of the causes – with timber body and bursting gas cylinders – of the horrific inferno that overwhelmed the pile up of 5 trains at Quintinshill in 1915, when 225 members of the Royal Scots regiment perished in the UK’s worst ever rail accident.
This carriage type was used extensively on suburban services in the very early days of the GCR, even on the London Extension and there is even suggestion that this type visited the Mountsorrel branch…..
Caption – Photo by Andrew Coalwood, RST volunteer